JULIAN Wilson has reaffirmed his desire to capture a debut world title this year as he looks to turn a promising start to the season into win No.1 in 2013.
The Coolum Beach natural-footer is due to compete this morning in the World Championship Tour's second stop, the Rip Curl Pro Bells Beach.
Wilson finished fifth in the season's first WCT event, the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast, and backed that up with a third on Monday at the Prime contest at Margaret River, Western Australia.
Before the season started, the 24-year-old third-year tour member stated he wanted to win the world championship this year.
Australian former world champion Mark Occhilupo said this week that Wilson had the ability to challenge for the title in 2013.
The man himself does not disagree after winning his first WCT event last year and finishing the year ranked No.9 in the world for the second straight season.
"I feel like this year is the first year I felt ready to have a go at the world title," Wilson said.
"The last couple of years, I had some goals I wanted to hit and I hit them.
"This year I feel like it's the first year I'll have a real good go at it (the title).
"I have some good experience under my belt now.
"I feel comfortable on tour. It should be a fun year."
The Rip Curl Pro was slated to start yesterday, but had to be postponed because of small conditions.
Wilson has drawn fellow Australian Kai Otton and American Patrick Gudauskas first-up.
Wilson has contested the event twice, coming 25th both last year and in 2011.
He was a tour rookie in 2011, and last year he surfed with a foot injury.
Despite those results, Wilson likes the beach's right-hand point break.
He should be well prepared for Bells, having spent much of the off-season surfing Noosa's right-hand point breaks.
"I had a lot of success in the juniors down here," he said.
"I feel comfortable out there and I feel like I'm a lot more ready than (I was) the last couple of years."
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.