Top fifteen things to do (and markets)
1. Splendour in the Grass: Blur plus Florence and the Machine are only some of the more than 100 music acts performing this weekend, plus burlesque, forums, comedy, DJs and all the fuzz that Splendour does so well. At North Byron Parklands today and tomorrow.
2. Opera at the Channon: Hosted by the combined Rotary Clubs of Lismore, Opera at The Channon invites guests to dress formally and enjoy a 'silver service' luncheon under a grand marquee, bring a picnic lunch or purchase a BBQ lunch with a difference. At Coronation Park, The Channon Rd, The Channon, tomorrow from 11am - 5pm. More info at operaatthechannon.com.au.
3. Andrew Rieu: The King of Waltz performs a yearly concert in his hometown of Maastricht in The Netherlands every year. The concert is approximately three hours long, including a 15-minute interval featuring Brisbane soprano Mirusia Lowerse. The satellite-delivered concert is recorded several days prior to the cinema screening, during Andre Rieu's 2015 Maastricht Concert summer season. Spoken parts in English and Dutch with some English subtitles supplied. At Events Cinema in Lismore and Ballina Fair Cinema in Ballina this Saturday and Sunday at 2pm. $40.
4. Acca Dacca and Chilsel'd: Acca Dacca is AC/DC reincarnated. Not a tribute show, not a cover band, but a full show. Supported by Chisel'd. Upstairs at the Ballina RSL Club, Saturday, July 25, 8.30pm, doors 7.45pm. $28.
5. Remnants: Many in Alstonville are surprised - a few concerned - when The Northern Star announces the marriage of local nurse Jessie Blanch to Sydney photographer Albert Eaton-Lee. The ceremony is planned for the Lynwood Methodist Church on March 18, 1950, Jessie's 40th birthday. This limited season is directed by John Senczuk, featuring national music theatre star Rachael Beck, with local actors Shelley Grace and Alex Mills. At the Alstonville Leisure and Entertainment Centre, today 2pm and 7.30pm.
6. National Tree Day: Grab Granny and the kids and head on down to the Lismore riverbank for fun in the winter sun from 11 am. Join Wilsons River Landcare Group in planting 2000 trees. There are kids' activities and food.
7. Quota Art Craft and Quilt Fair: Interesting demonstrations throughout the day of spinning and weaving, jewellery making, paper crafting, decorative painting, scrap booking and tapestry will educate and inspire craft lovers. At the Casino Community and Cultural Centre, Walker St, Casino, today 25 July from 9am to 3.30pm.
8. Jazz and Shiraz: Jazz and Shiraz will blend quality wine and fine music. The Romaniacs and Cole Cox Lovejoy will perform the music, while you enjoy some wines from WrightRobertson Wines. At Windara, Sextonville Road, Casino, today from 11.30am. $20.
9. Winter Bush Dance: Put your dancing shoes on and swing your partner round and round at Kyogle's big winter celebration, featuring the Reagged Blossom Bush Band. At the Kyogle Memorial Hall today from 6pm. $10.
10. Citrus Celebration and Picnic: Pack a picnic, see all the great progress at the garden and win a prize for most stylish citrus-themed picnic. Enter the Citrus Cooking Competition for best preserve, baked item and beverage. Register online at: https://www.facebook.com/lismoreurbanagriculture. Garden Guru Phil Dudman will be there with tips on caring for your citrus trees, and Faith Newhams will demonstrate how to cook up a delicious citrus treat. There'll be kids games, stalls, music and more. At the Lismore Community Garden, 50 Brewster St, Lismore, from 10am - 1pm. Free event.
11. The Sydney Comedy Festival Showcase: The Sydney Comedy Festival Showcase is tearing up the freeways of Australia for the third year in a row, featuring the crème de la crème of the 2015 Festival right on your doorstep. Boasting a line-up of the best local and international comics and showcasing some of the funniest and freshest emerging talents, you will be left sore from belly laughs due to this jam packed night of pure entertainment. The Lismore gig will be held at the Lismore City Hall, 1 Bounty St, on Thursday, July 30, from 7.30pm. For details or bookings contact 13 0006 6772.
12. Miss Friby - A Cabaret Spectacular: Miss Friby brings her unique brand of cabaret and burlesque to Lismore for one night only. Green Room Award nominee and Australia's Got Talent finalist, this sparkly showgirl will be performing an eclectic array of top acts reflecting on romance, suburbia and the life of a tumultuous show girl. Decadent aesthetics, witty commentary and hilarious showmanship in a tornado of exotic glamour and fishnets. At the Starcourt Theatre, 126 Molesworth St, Lismore, from 7.30pm. $35.
13. Lismore Art Club Art Exhibition: Featuring visual art works of members in all mediums. 150 entries to be judged and many more will be for sale. Cards and crafts will also be on display. The exhibition only showcases and promotes works done by the club's members. At the Lismore Workers Club, 231 Keen St, Lismore, from Thursday, July 30. Free event.
14. Mi-Sex: Mi-Sex has come bursting out of its forced hiatus with the intention of taking no prisoners. The band's highly energised live shows have been blowing audiences away with its space punk rock and massive songs Computer Games, Blue Day, People, But You Don't Care. It's the first recording for the current Mi-Sex line-up, which includes Steve Balbi (lead vocals), Don Martin (bass), Murray Burns (keyboards), Paul Dunningham (drums), Colin Bayley (guitar), and Travis New (guitar). At the Ballina RSL this Friday, July 31, from 8.30pm.
15. Bentley Art Prize: The annual Bentley Art Prize will be held in the Bentley Public Hall (midway between Lismore and Kyogle). This art prize gives emerging artists the chance to showcase their talent to the wider community. All proceeds raised from the event go toward the upkeep of the Bentley Public Hall, a focal point for the Bentley community. At the Bentley Hall from this Friday, July 31.
- Alstonville Farmers Market, Bugden Ln car park, Alstonville.
- Lismore Farmers Market, Lismore Showground.
- Lismore Vintage Market, at the Northern Rivers Conservatorium, 152 Keen St, Lismore, from 11am
- Uki Farmers market every Saturday morning.
- Kyogle Farmers Market, Stratheden St Kyogle.
- Blue Knob Farmers Market, 719 Blue Knob Rd, Lillian Rock.
- Bangalow Farmers Market, 1 Byron St, Bangalow
- Evans Head Riverside Market, Recreation Reserve, Oak St, Evans Head.
- Kingscliff Beachside Market, Marine Pde, Kingscliff
- Drake Hall Markets, Community Hall, Bruxner Hwy, Drake, last Saturday of the month
- Yowie Country Markets, Community Public Hall, Unumgar St, Woodenbong.
- Bangalow Village Market, Showgrounds
- Nimbin Market, Cullen St
- Missingham Bridge Markets, Missingham Bridge, Kingsford Dr, Ballina