Mackay paramedics were called to four alleged assaults at the weekend.
Mackay paramedics were called to four alleged assaults at the weekend. Tony Martin

Three people in hospital after weekend of violence

EMERGENCY crews had to deal with a spate of violence at the weekend, responding to a string of alleged assaults that put three people to hospital.

Paramedics reported responding to four incidents involving alleged assaults between Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning.

At least three people were taken to Mackay Base Hospital after receiving medical treatment.

At 5.16pm on Saturday, paramedics were called to an alleged assault at the corner of Shakespeare and Nelson streets.

An 18-year-old male patient was transferred to the Mackay Base Hospital, a Queensland Ambulance Service spokesman said.

Then, about 10.30pm on Saturday, paramedics were called to an alleged assault near the Mackay police station on Sydney St.

A QAS spokesman said paramedics had treated a 34-year-old male patient for a head injury at the scene.

He said the patient had been left in the care of police.

Paramedics attended another alleged assault on Sydney St around 2.30am, the spokesman said.

They assessed the scene but no one was treated for major injury.

About 1.50am yesterday, a 20-year-old male was transported to Mackay Base Hospital with facial injuries.

A QAS spokesman said this was after an alleged assault near Cartel Nightclub on Victoria St.

He also said this was one of multiple callouts to Victoria St overnight but could not give more details.

The callouts continued until about 5am yesterday when paramedics were called to an alleged assault at Orion Ave, North Mackay.

A 22-year-old male was transported to the Mackay Base Hospital, a QAS spokesman said.

A Queensland Police Service spokeswoman provided information on two of the four incidents reported by Queensland Ambulance Service.

She said an alleged assault on Victoria St involved a 28-year-old man claiming to be have been punched in the face in an unprovoked attack.

"Police didn't charge anyone over that. They did speak to someone ... but they couldn't really verify what's actually happened," she said.

"Police are still looking into it."

Regarding the reported Sydney St incidents, the spokeswoman said she was only able to find information relating to a public nuisance charge on Saturday night.

"That was just a verbal argument that happened. Someone has barged a person and he's fallen onto the ground ... it was a bit of a scuffle," she alleged.

Police charged a 23-year-old man with public nuisance.

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

'This will be huge': New show like a theme park ride

'This will be huge': New show like a theme park ride

"You'll come out saying, 'what did I just see?'”

When home comes to Canberra

When home comes to Canberra

Wyralla Road asks all the right questions in Parliament

Keeping bike in good order is good for the marriage

Keeping bike in good order is good for the marriage

If you are going to ride a bike make sure you can fix it too

Local Partners