Thousands spent before car burst into flames
A DEVASTATED motorist driving his 1995 Chevrolet ute up Murphys Creek Rd had just spent thousands on it before it burst into flames.
Terry Hill was driving back to Toowoomba after picking up his beloved farm ute from North Lakes, where it underwent some transmission work over the past two months or so.
He was near the peak of the range when it caught alight and there was little firefighters could do as flames engulfed the ute in minutes.
"It's just had 6500 spent on the transmission and I was just trying to drive the truck back home," the upset motorist said.
"This is the end result."
Mr Hill said he'd owned the truck for about two decades and used it as his farm workhorse, but after spending that kind of money he was gutted that it could burst into flames the day he picked it up.
"It's had a fairly hard life but I'm just terribly disappointed in the treatment I've had," he said.
According to Mr Hill, the blaze was sparked after a transmission hose burst and blew oil onto the hot exhaust pipe.