THE senior police officer investigating the gang-rape attack on a teenage girl in Sydney's west says he doesn't think a crime "gets more serious".
An 18-year-old girl is receiving "intense counselling" in hospital after she was abducted by five men and repeatedly sexually assaulted in Baulkham Hills on the weekend.
The girl was walking home from a party when a group of men in a car stopped her and asked for directions to a local shopping centre.
She was then grabbed from behind, forced into the car, taken to an unknown location nearby and attacked and then dumped in a street at Castle Hill.
Speaking to reporters in Sydney on Monday, Sex Crime Squad Commander Detective Superintendent John Kerlatec said the girl was receiving counselling and was being comforted by family.
"This is an immensely traumatic experience for anyone," Det Supt Kerlatec said.
"I don't think it gets more serious."
The only clues police have so far are a description of the car and driver.
The group were travelling in a green sedan which is believed to have been parked outside the party earlier in the evening.
The driver is described as a Caucasian male, aged about 25 with a chubby build and beard.
He was wearing a red and white flannelette shirt at the time of the attack.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.