Red Rock rip claims another victim
A TOURIST from Victoria has described how she and her husband tried desperately to save the life of a young man at Red Rock on Wednesday evening.
Dianne Langan, from Werribee, Victoria, told local photo journalist Frank Redward she was alerted to a problem when she saw cars moving up and down the beach road near the caravan park at the picturesque spot.
“My husband and I ran to the beach to see if we could help,” she said.
“We were asked if anyone could perform CPR and as my husband (Barry) is an AFL trainer, he said he could.
“Unfortunately, despite our efforts, he was pronounced dead on the beach.”
Mrs Langan said the waters around the popular spot was dangerous and she called for people to be careful.
“They need to heed the warning signs,” she said.
Despite those valiant attempts, a young Korean man became the latest casualty of an innocent swim at Red Rock.
Emergency crews were called to the spot just after 5pm to investigate.
Police say a group of people had been bathing and riding bodyboards when one of the men, 27, was washed into a rip.
“An off-duty lifeguard was able to pull the man from the water and onto his surfboard,” a police spokesman said.
“He paddled to a rock formation and after raising the alarm, commenced resuscitation.
“The man, a Korean national, could not be revived.”
Police will prepare a report outlining the full circumstances of the incident for the information of the coroner.