IT MAY not be tipped for Oscar glory, but New Zealand movie fans have voted The Hobbit as their best film of 2012.
The Peter Jackson-directed epic won best picture in the Flicks.co.nz People's Choice awards.
Jackson also won best director for the film, which is nearing $1 billion in worldwide box-office takings.
The Duncan Sarkies-directed black comedy Two Little Boys took out best New Zealand film.
Skyfall, credited with reviving the Bond franchise, won best action film and Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane's first big screen effort Ted took best comedy.
Critically acclaimed time travel flick Looper took best sci-fi film while The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel won best drama.
Best actress went to Michelle Williams for her convincing portrayal of Marilyn Monroe in My Week with Marilyn.
Javier Bardem won best actor for his villainous turn in Skyfall.
More than 80,000 votes were cast by about 6000 people to decide the award winners.
Full list of winners:
- Best movie: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
- Best NZ movie: Two Little Boys
- Best Action: Skyfall
- Best comedy: Ted
- Best drama: The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
- Best romance: The Five-Year Engagement
- Best sci-fi/fantasy: Looper
- Best thriller: Argo
- Best documentary: Searching for Sugar Man
- Best foreign language: The Intouchables
- Best director: Peter Jackson (The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey)
- Best actress: Michelle Williams (My Week with Marilyn)
- Best actor: Javier Bardem (Skyfall)
- Breathrough performance: Quvenzhané Wallis (Beasts of the Southern Wild)
- Hero of the year: Jennifer Lawrence (The Hunger Games)
- Biggest wanker: Tom Hiddleston (The Avengers)
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.