Mother pleads not guilty after two-year-old ingests drugs
A WOMAN charged with neglect after a toddler was rushed to hospital with illicit drugs in his system has clashed with reporters outside court today.
Doctors were told the gravely ill two-year-old boy had consumed paint thinner at his South Penrith home when he arrived at Nepean Hospital on December 8.
His condition worsened and he was flown to Sydney Children's Hospital at Randwick for specialist treatment and survived.
The mother, 36, was charged after pathology and forensic tests allegedly revealed the boy had ingested illegal drugs, not paint thinner.
The woman - who cannot be identified for legal reasons - faced one charge each of fail to provide for child causing danger or death and neglect child or young person in her care, and police have also taken out an interim AVO against the woman on behalf of the child.
Court papers show police allege the woman "did without reasonable excuse recklessly fail to provide adequate and proper lodging" for the boy.
Asked whether she had anything to say outside Penrith Local Court today, the mother responded: "Yes, f*** off."
Her lawyer Michael Bellingham said her client would plead not guilty to the charges, which were referred to the Department of Public Prosecutions for further mention on July 14.
He did confirm the child was in better health.
"I understand he's doing fine," Mr Bellingham said.
Neighbours at the now-vacant home in South Penrith where the alleged poisoning occurred, said there was continually trouble at the home and they were relieved when the family left.
"Police have been there a couple of times, the whole street was full of police one day," one woman, who did not wish to be named, said.