KFC appeals toxic Twister payout

FAST-Food giant KFC has launched an appeal against a court decision to award $8 million in compensation to the family of a young girl who suffered permanent brain damage as result of eating a toxic chicken wrap.

Monika Samaan was seven when she was overcome with salmonella poisoning after eating a KFC Twister at the Villawood store in Sydney's west in 2005.

She lost the use of her legs, was confined to a wheelchair and has never spoken properly since.

Following a drawn-out legal battle, a Sydney judge found poor hygiene practices were to blame for the food poising and ordered KFC to pay $8 million to the Samaan family.

Documents filed in the NSW Supreme Court this week reveal KFC is appealing the decision on the grounds the judge failed to consider some of the evidence.


Search for man after child approached at school

Search for man after child approached at school

Police searching for chubby, bearded man with bandaged feet

"It won't be long before there are milk shortages"

"It won't be long before there are milk shortages"

Farmers "stressed to the max, mentally and physically”

A good conversation is like a ball game

A good conversation is like a ball game

Observing the flow of conversation can be a spectator sport

Local Partners