How punctual is your local airport?
THREE airports in Queensland are among the top 10 regional centres for flight punctuality in June, according to data released on Friday.
The Bureau of Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Economics' Airline On Time Performance Monthly report named Sunshine Coast, Emerald and Proserpine among the top 10 regional airports - with 84.2%, 83.8% and 81.2% respectively - for flights arriving on time.
While these airports topped the list in Queensland, other regional airports that had more than 80% of flights arriving on time included Port Lincoln, Mildura and Launceston.
The report rates arrivals and departures from every major airport in the country, with a punctual flight leaving or arriving within 15 minutes of the scheduled time.
Nationally, the long term average performance for all routes since reporting commenced in November 2003 was 84% for on-time departures and 82.7% for on-time arrivals.
Cancellations averaged 1.2% of all scheduled flights since November 2003.
The regional airlines were led by Regional Express (REX) at 84.8%, followed by Virgin Australia-ATR/F100 Operations at 84.1%, Skywest at 75.9% and QantasLink at 70.7% for on-time departures and arrivals.
While the figures do not report all flights to and from regional airports, the data does cover the most popular routes, with more than 8000 passengers each month.
Punctuality at regional airports and airlines in the APN footprint:
- Sunshine Coast: average: 84.2%, Jetstar: 81.2%, Virgin: 90.8%
- Proserpine: average: 83.8%, Jetstar: 87.%, Virgin: 90%, Virgin ATR/F100: 70%
- Emerald: average: 81.2%, QantasLink: 77%, Virgin ATR/F100: 92.5%
- Mackay: average: 78%, Jetstar: 85.6%, QantasLink: 73.9%, Virgin: 74.2%
- Rockhampton: average: 78%, QantasLink: 69.2%, Virgin: 91.8%, Virgin ATR/F100: 76.8%
- Ballina: average: 78%, Jetstar: 84.8%, REX: 67.9%, Virgin: 80%
- Gladstone: average: 76.4%, QantasLink: 67.1%, Virgin ATR/F100: 89.2%
- Coffs Harbour: average: 62.3%, QantasLink: 54.7%, Virgin: 81.5%
NOTE: APN (our publisher) Footprint: regional Qld and northern NSW.