Fury dirty over ground
WHILE the Fury lived up to their nickname over the postponement of their A-League clash with Newcastle, Jets’ coach Branko Culina said laying blame is useless.
Wednesday night’s match at EnergyAustralia Stadium was called off by Football Federation Australia (FFA) late on Tuesday due to the poor state of the pitch, resulting from a motocross event at the venue 12 days ago.
The Fury had already begun their flight descent to Newcastle when they heard the news and the club’s CEO Rabieh Krayem was up in arms.
“I can understand their frustration,” Culina said yesterday.
“It was a bit similar last year, we travelled to Townsville and it rained for about three days and the game was called off.
“I can imagine them being frustrated having already started travelling down to Newcastle only to find out it was called off.
“But there’s no point in blaming anyone because that’s not going to resolve anything.”
Krayem laid the blame squarely with NRL club the Newcastle Knights who hold management rights at the state government-owned stadium, subleasing it to the Jets.
But Culina was reluctant to comment on the continuing turf wars between the Jets and the Knights saying: “I’m paid to coach and not to make judgment calls on the management of the stadium.”
Newcastle, who were set to play their first match on home soil in over a month, will have to wait even longer for their home ground comeback.
A date has yet to be determined for the rescheduled Jets’ match against the Fury, with Sunday’s match at EnergyAustralia Stadium against Melbourne Heart now moved to Port Macquarie.