WITH four house fires since Sunday in the Grafton area, Clarence Valley residents are being reminded to take every precaution to protect themselves and their property from fire.
Grafton Fire Brigade station officer Mick Kearns, said while the causes of the four recent fires were probably different, there were still a number of general common-sense rules people should keep in mind to prevent a fire breaking out in their home.
He said about half of household fires started from the kitchen, so he urged people to keep a close eye on cooking.
Mr Kearns said other common causes of house fires were the overloading of power points, clothes dryers which hadn't been cleaned of lint, people smoking in bed and children playing with lighters and matches.
With so many potential sources of fire in the home, Mr Kearns said it was crucial people had smoke detectors.
"Smoke detectors are the major difference between life and death," Mr Kearns said.
However while prevention was the best strategy when it came to house fires, Mr Kearns also recommended people install fire extinguishers and fire blankets in their home.
"They should also have a written escape plan too and make sure keys to all locked doors are accessible in case they need to leave the house quickly.
For more information about preventing house fires and the installation of smoke detectors, visit fire.nsw.gov.au or call the Grafton Fire Station on 66433491.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.