Boy, 3, survives electric shock
RACEVIEW dad Scott Gardiner was yesterday thanking God that he and his young son weren't seriously hurt by an electric shock at the Easter Monday Funday.
Mr Gardiner, 40, and his son Nickolas Gardiner-Krebs, 3, were sitting on the ground near the octopus jumping castle when they unwittingly touched an exposed power cord.
The jolt went through Mr Gardiner and into Nickolas - who was being nursed at the time.
"We were just sitting on the ground having a bit of horseplay and mucking around," Mr Gardiner said.
"I was sort of rocking Nickolas back and forward and all of a sudden I felt this big zap on the bottom side of my leg - then Nickolas started screaming.
"He usually cries if something is wrong but this time he screamed and we couldn't calm him down.
"It was actually quite painful at first - just like a big jolt."
The young boy's screams managed to get the attention of other people standing in line for the jumping castle, and pretty soon St John Ambulance volunteers arrived to offer help.
Although painful, the shock did not cause any serious injuries to father or son, and after being taken to Ipswich Hospital for a welfare check, the pair were cleared of any injuries.
Nickolas had a slight mark on his hand and a headache afterwards but it passed quickly.
Mr Gardiner said he felt dizzy and nauseous and had some visible blood vessels around the site of the electric shock to his leg.
"I think someone was watching over us," Mr Gardiner said.
Although thankful her loved ones were fine, Nickolas' mother, Marcia Krebs, said she wanted the company involved to be put to task.
"It could have been a lot worse - it could have been fatal," Ms Krebs said.
Ms Krebs and her ex-husband Mr Gardiner said they loved the Easter Monday Funday and wanted to see it continue.
Event organiser Hans Booij said the company involved was running four jumping castles on the day.
He said it was the first time the ride operator had been to the event, which is held annually at Queens Park on Easter Monday.
"As soon as this happened we shut down all four rides - we didn't want to risk it," Mr Booij said.
"We've never had a problem of this nature in the past 20 years of the event and we don't intend to have these operators back unless they can come up to the proper safety standards."
Workplace Health and Safety confirmed the incident was being investigated, but would not comment further.