Elderly woman survived lightning strike and house fire

AN ELDERLY woman miraculously survived after a lightning bolt struck her Moonee Beach home and sparked a house fire during the massive storm that hit the Coffs Coast.

Firefighters have since determined the Maccues Rd house fire last Friday was caused by a direct strike to an antenna on the roof of the home.

Remarkably, the woman aged in her 80s was standing on the ground floor and avoided contact with conductive surfaces, as the incredible surge of electricity travelled along cooper wiring inside the home and went to earth.

Power sockets were blown out, appliances were fried and a gas water heater caught fire with flames spreading to the  top floor.

"One very lucky escape," Coffs Harbour Fire and Rescue Station Officer Mark Rose said.

"With a direct lightning strike we are talking about million to a million and a half volts.

"It's lucky she was on the lower floor, she was understandably very shaken after the fire, but very lucky she and her four cats weren't electrocuted.

"It's fortunate she was standing where she was, because it was so wet the electricity would have spread everywhere inside the home before it was earthed.

Within seconds, the water heater was on fire and flames travelled up through the wall cavity and engulfed the top floor kitchen.

Neighbours rushed to the woman's aid and called 000.

The home was well alight when firefighters reached the scene about 5.45pm.

"It was a tough fire to fight," Station Officer Rose said.

"It was a hurricane out there, like a mini cyclone, extreme wind gusts over 100km/h.

"As we were fighting the house fire, there were branches coming down around us, one large branch even crashed over the carport.

"In a freak stroke of luck, the strong winds actually stopped the fire from spreading.

"The winds were so strong they actually pushed the flames into a corner in the room and out a window.

"The woman was relieved when we found her four cats.

"The most important thing is that she survived the strike and got outside after the fire ignited," he said.

Topics:  house fire lightning strike moonee beach storm

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Be the first to see controversial animated children's film

FURRY FRIENDS: Mopsy (Elizabeth Debicki), Flopsy (Margot Robbie), Benjamin, Bea (Rose Byrne), Peter Rabbit (James Corden) and Cottontail (Daisy Ridley) in Columbia Pictures' PETER RABBIT.

Advanced screening of Peter Rabbit in Lismore this weekend

Rosanna has designs on female taboo

Artist Rosanna Pimm uses 3500 porcelain tampons to created her large scale performance installation  Riots of Passage in The Quad  as part of The Lismore Women's Festival on International Women's Day. Laying down and de-constructing the mandala structure symbolises the impermanence of the menstrual cycle and an end to female inequality in the world.

Rosanna has designs on female taboo

Another win for city's calender

NO PROBLEM: Eat The Street.

Another win for city's calender

Local Partners