A YOUNG child who fell from her window on Christmas Eve remains in hospital in a serious condition.
The five-year-old suffered a fractured skull, broken ribs and bleeding on the brain when fell from the first floor unit onto a concrete slab in the NSW town of Forster late Monday night.
Police have ruled the incident an accident but have appealed for parents to be more vigilant during the Christmas holidays.
Police safety tips
- Ensure windows are secure
- Ensure windows cannot be opened more than 10cm, except by an adult or have a securely fitted window guard
- Window fly-screens are not "child-proof" and do not prevent a child from falling from an open window
- Don't place furniture in front of windows
- Keep objects that a child can use to stand or climb on away from windows (including beds, cupboards, chairs and other furniture)
- Keep windows locked and closed if a child is left without adult supervision.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.