THE search for a man reported missing off Sawtell has been suspended.
Rescuers conducted an exhaustive ocean and beach search for the man over the weekend to no avail.
Searchers combed the waters around Bonville Beach for several hours on Saturday afternoon after reports the man may have gone missing.
The effort continued throughout the day yesterday.
A witness told police the man was on his own and was seen walking along the beach, south of the rock pool, just after midday on Saturday.
He is said to have entered the water south of Bonville Creek.
At 1pm police attended the scene where they were informed by a witness that a man wearing black shorts and a black jumper entered the water directly into a rip current.
A fisherman told police that he didn't see the man exit the water.
Local police with the assistance of the Marine Area Command, the Westpac Rescue Helicopter and the Woolgoolga, Sawtell and Coffs Harbour Surf Life Saving Clubs conducted a land and sea search of the area, but did not find the man.
Initial police checks found no one had been reported missing in the Coffs Harbour area and there was no sight of unattended vehicles in the nearby carparks.
A dangerous surf warning for the Coffs Coast was called off on Thursday and beach conditions were favourable at the time the incident was reported.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.