A BALLINA man has been killed in an accident at a mine at Cobar in central NSW.
Police and the Department of Trade and Investment are running joint investigations into the 41-year-old's death at the CSA copper mine on Saturday.
Police from the Darling River local area command this morning told the ABC the man had been working at the mine about 18 months when the accident happened.
Cobar Weekly managing editor Sharon Harland said the man was employed as a contractor.
Ms Harland said the man suffered a head injury in the mine about 4.30am on Saturday. Police had told was treated at the scene by an emergency response team and paramedics before he was taken by ambulance to Cobar hospital, where he died a short time later.
Police, speaking to the ABC, said the mine was generally "big on safety" and at this stage it appeared the death was the result of an unforseeable accident.
Ms Harland said there had been no serious accidents within the mine before the Ballina man's death.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.