Noelene Bischoff and her daughter Yvana who died after contracting scromboid food poisoning at Bali.
Noelene Bischoff and her daughter Yvana who died after contracting scromboid food poisoning at Bali.

Rare food poisoning blamed for death of Noelene and Yvana

A RARE form of food poisoning most likely caused the deaths of a Sunshine Coast mother and daughter in Bali, their family has been told.

Noelene Bischoff and her 14-year-old daughter Yvana died last month after falling ill while on holiday.

The forensic pathologists who conducted the autopsies in Brisbane have told the Bischoff family they do not suspect foul play, the ABC reported.

Noelene's brother Malcolm says it is suspected several factors combined to promote the growth of a rare bacteria in the fish they ate at a restaurant.

"At this stage they think the cause of death is the fish... a bacteria called scombroid poisoning, which is a very unusual type of fish poisoning. It's not very well known," he said.

Mr Bischoff says they were told it is extremely rare for someone to die from this type of food poisoning.

Both mother and daughter suffered from mild asthma, which could have also contributed to their deaths.

The family stressed the results remain inconclusive and authorities are awaiting final test results.

An earlier medical examination in Bali showed something caused the pair to choke for air before they died.

Hundreds packed the Caloundra CityLife Baptist Church last month to remember and celebrate the lives of the inseparable Wurtulla pair who suddenly died in Bali.

Tributes painted a picture of a loving, hard working mother who doted on her vibrant and intelligent daughter.

The 54-year-old mother and 14-year-old daughter died after becoming violently sick.

"It has, as you can imagine, been a very difficult time for our family and it is far from over," Noelene's brother Malcolm Bischoff told the Daily last month.

Noelene leaves behind her sister Desley and brother Malcolm, mother Jean, sister-in-law Keryn, brother-in-law Kevin and cousins Belinda, Kate, Chris, Grasienne and Logan.

There have been suggestions of a food allergy, food poisoning, methanol drink-spiking and even suspicious medication.

Member for Fisher Mal Brough, who has been working with the family, said it was "upsetting" for the Bischoffs to have seen suggestions in national media that prescription drugs found in the pair's hotel room could have something to do with the deaths.


Why you should change your iPhone passcode

Why you should change your iPhone passcode

Do you use a six-digit passcode for your iPhone?

Splendour tickets sold out in minutes

Splendour tickets sold out in minutes

If you missed out, don’t panic and read on

The joy is in the giving, and giving, and giving

The joy is in the giving, and giving, and giving

The joy is in the giving, and giving, and giving

Local Partners