WHEN a warning symbol flashes up on the dashboard as you're driving, your first reaction is probably to panic.
And you wouldn't be alone as research has revealed that hordes of people draw a blank at what the symbols actually mean, reports The Sun.
There are loads of possible signs that could flash up to let you know you need to get to a mechanic or advise something needs checking.
Many drivers have no clue what the tyre pressure warning light is or the symbol that indicates a problem with the diesel particulate filter.
But how many can you identify? Do you know them all? - don't fret, we have got you covered.
Research conducted by car diagnostics app Engie found half of those questioned (50 per cent) failed to recognise the warning for low tyre pressure.
This was followed by the diesel particulate filter warning light which four in ten drew a blank at.
The engine warning light - which could signify a serious mechanical problem and cause irreparable damage to the car if not checked by a professional - was the third most unidentifiable symbol with 38 per cent failing to understand it correctly.
Fourth in the list came the brake system light with one in three (36 per cent) unable to describe what it meant.
Read on to find out what the symbols are trying to tell you about your car.
1. Indicator to push the clutch
2. Indicator to push the brake pedal
3. Locked steering-wheel
4. Full beam turned on
5. Low tyre pressure
6. Side lights on
7. Problems with headlight / tail-lights / signals bulbs
8. Problems with brake lights
9. Winter mode
10. Info indicator
11. The diesel auxiliary heater
12. Ice warning
13. Starting system problems
14. The key is not in the car
15. Key low battery
16. Warning distance to another car
17. Service warning light
18. Adaptive headlights turned on
19. Headlight angle adjustment
20. Problems with variable rear spoiler
21. Problems in triggering electric roof
22. Front airbag is switched off
23. Handbrake is on
24. Front fog lights turned on
25. Power steering system problems
26. Rear fog lights switched on
27. Low level of windscreen fluid
28. Worn brake pads
29. Cruise control is activated
30. Signal indicators
31. Trouble on light sensor or rain sensor
32. Water in fuel filter
33. Airbag switched off
34. Mechanical problem or electrical error
35. Dipped headlights turned on
36. Dirty air filter requires replacement
37. Parking sensors turned on
38. Problems with the diesel particulate filter (DPF)
39. Error - disconnection of the plug from the trailer
40. Air suspension problems
41. Warning for leaving your lane with lane assist system active
42. Problems with catalytic converter
43. Seatbelt warning
44. Warning parking light
45. Alternator or battery problems
46. ECO mode turned on
47. Downhill assist on
48. Cooling system problems
49. Problem with ABS
50. Problems with fuel filter
51. Open door
52. Open bonnet
53. Fuel tank on reserve, need to fill the tank
54. Automatic gearbox problems
55. Speed limiter is active
56. Suspension problems
57. Front window defroster
58. Electronic Stability Programme (ESP) is off
59. Open boot
60. Low oil pressure
61. The automatic windscreen wiper
62. Engine problems or hazards
63. Rain sensor
64. Rear window defroster
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.