For the first time since 2005, Lake Ainsworth, near Lennox Head, has become affected by blue-green algae.C
ontact with the affected water could result in skin rashes, eye and ear irritationsand ingesting the water can lead to diarrhoea and long term health problems. Asthma attacks can also be brought on by contact with blue-green algae. All pets should be kept out of the water as the potential harmful effects of blue-green algae can cause death in animals.
Ballina Council is regularly monitoring the situation and asks that the public heed the warning signs. The current status of the lake is updated on Councils web site, www.ballinacouncil.com.au, as information comes to hand.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.