News

Granville man recalls moment flames engulfed next door home

UPDATE 12:30PM: BANGING on the door is what woke up Granville's Gary Booth this morning at 4am, an alert to let him know his neighbour's home was burning to the ground.

The inferno was right next door, the surreal image of flames engulfing his neighbour's house.

"When I looked out, the house was quite engulfed," Mr Booth said.

"I could see the owner in the backyard and could see he was safe.

"He just looked to be in shock."

Mr Booth jumped into action and took out a garden hose in a bid to help in any way to decrease further damage being done and stop the flames from spreading.

 

Gary Booth lives next door to the house that caught fire in Granville on January 12. He said the frightening experience was surreal.
Gary Booth lives next door to the house that caught fire in Granville on January 12. He said the frightening experience was surreal. Annie Perets

 

"There are trees out the back and I was trying to hose the flames back from them," Mr Booth said.

"Within five minutes, the fire brigade was here."

There is about a 5m gap between the house Mr Booth lives in and that of his unfortunate neighbour.

The heat from the flame began to be felt in the glass in Mr Booth's house, and even made a crack.

"I tried to touch the glass but it was almost too hot to touch," he said.

"I was most worried about the windows cracking as that would have lit everything up.

"Once the fire got really big, I got my wife to put our dogs in the car and just go."

Mr Booth said the concept of a major fire happening next to him was just unreal.

"You just can't believe it's happening," he said.

"The fire crews reacted really quickly, and saved the house from turning into complete ash."

Firefighters spent Thursday morning following the incident working to contain the high quantity of asbestos that was released.

The owner of the burned down house was described to be a long-term resident by neighbours, who had recently done renovation works inside.

A former resident of that house came to visit what's left of the home following the incident, and was brought to tears.

 

 

FRASER COAST TOP STORIES

1. Fraser Coast retailer adds a cafe, float tank and sauna

2. REVEALED: cheapest fuel stations on Fraser Coast

3. Fraser Coast mum fights Centrelink debt claim

 

EARLIER: AN OLD Queenslander has been destroyed in Granville after it went up in flames in the early hours of Thursday morning.

When crews arrived on scene the only resident who lived at the Granville property was trapped in his backyard with his dog in his arms.

 

The remains of a home in Granville after a fire gutted it in the early hours of January 12.
The remains of a home in Granville after a fire gutted it in the early hours of January 12. Annie Perets

 

Maryborough Fire Station Officer Shaun Murphy rescued the man from the yard while the first team of firefighters started extinguishing the blaze.

"On arrival the Queenslander was fully engulfed upstairs and under the house," Officer Murphy said.

"The roof had collapsed.

"We cut the gates open, got him out of the backyard and into an ambulance," he said.


Fire crews work to put out the blaze which engulfed a Queenslander in Granville.
Fire crews work to put out the blaze which engulfed a Queenslander in Granville. Annie Perets

 

The man was in shock and was taken to hospital for precautionary reasons. 

About 14 fire fighters worked to contain the blaze within about 45 minutes.

The fire, which started just before 4am, was completely under control in just over an hour.

Protective lines to neighbouring properties were put in place.

 

Fire crews work to put out the blaze which engulfed a Queenslander in Granville.
Fire crews work to put out the blaze which engulfed a Queenslander in Granville. Annie Perets

 

"Neighbours also had their own garden hoses out," Officer Murphy said.

Officer Murphy said there was a smoke alarm in the house.

It's also believed there was a boat, welder and car on the property.

Follow Annie Perets on Twitter for more local news.

TOP TIPS

1. Make sure the surrounding areas of your house are clear and accessible for fire fighters.

2. Check and make sure you have working smoke alarms at your property.

Topics:  fcemergency fire qfes


Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

New lease of life for young kookaburras

FREE TO ROAM: Juvenile kookaburras return to the wild.

WIRES begins the year with kookaburra rescue

Cute Zeus looks like a god but is a goof

I'M YOURS: Zeus - God of Cuteness.

In the Doghouse Column is back

Make sure your business's new year's resolutions are attainable

Open For Business columinst from the LCCI Deborah Benhayon.

Getting your business's goals for 2017 down pat

Local Partners

Jennifer Aniston wants to return to TV

Jennifer Aniston is desperate to make a return to TV

Madonna hopes for election unity

Madonna hopes Donald Trump's election will "bring people together"

JK Rowling rules out Cursed Child trilogy

JK Rowling has ruled out a 'Cursed Child' movie trilogy

Buckley's chance in psychological thriller

James McAvoy and Betty Buckley in a scene from the movie Split.

Broadway veteran back on big screen with James McAvoy

Daniel MacPherson: acting’s a bit like channel surfing

Australian actor Daniel MacPherson in a scene from the American TV series APB.

THE Aussie export talks about making his mark in the US.

Shopping isn't fun if you can see dead people

Lisa Marie Woodham will be giving readings in Gladstone until Saturday January 21.

Shopping isn't fun if you can see dead people

Thousands of jobs part of $1b retirement village project

THIS YEAR: An artist impression of the new Aveo retirement village in Springfield.

Aveo Springfield unveiled this month, homes ready by July

KNIFE-EDGE: The housing tightrope we now face

Even the smallest interest rate rise will be hard for some to handle.

One if five home owners at risk, according to new analysis

'Difficult times': Rental prices tipped to increase in 2017

GREAT BUYS: There are some great rentals and houses to buy in South Gladstone. Head to gladstoneobserver.com.au for the top 10 homes under $100 to rent right now in the Gladstone region.

Investors may soon see a "profitable return” on properties.

Historical home leaves family's hands after 75 years

SALE CONFIRMED: The Gympie Regional   Realty team which sold the Ramsey property are (back) Mel Gastigar, Dorothy Palmer and Margaret Cochrane, with (front) home seller Terri-Jayne Ramsey.

Ramsey family played a huge role in Gympie's growth.

Pat Rafter's $18m Coast home proves hot property

PAT'S PAD: The Sunshine Beach home of tennis ace Pat rafter is on the market for a record price.

"It's a record for our company and for the Sunshine Coast.''

Ready to SELL your property?

Post Your Ad Here!