THE 2011 Australian Traveller Readers' Choice Awards have crowned Melbourne Australia's favourite city with Margaret River the best town in Australia.
Lauded by readers as the "culture capital of Australia", Melbourne won Best City for its history, sporting events, shopping and dynamic laneway bars and cafés.
Fierce rival Sydney was not completely overlooked by the more than 1000 Australian travellers who voted in 18 categories.
"A Weekend in Sydney" was declared Favourite Travel Experience in 2011. Sydney also collected gongs for Best Restaurant (Quay), Best Bar Or Pub (The Ivy) and Best Guided Tour (BridgeClimb Sydney).
Western Australia also received several awards. Margaret River won Best Town for its revered wineries, restaurants and farm gates, not to mention its rural charm and fierce surf breaks. Broome's Cable Beach Club Resort & Spa won Best Resort.
The awards are the only consumer awards for tourism in Australia.
Australian Traveller editor Elisabeth Knowles said: "These awards are voted for by the most important people in the industry - the travellers themselves. It's a real mark of what Australians really think about travelling in their own country.
"Despite all the doom and gloom about domestic travel, our readers tell us a very different and positive story. They are travelling regularly in Australia," Ms Knowles said.
The survey respondents reported travelling an average of 3.25 times for leisure in the first nine months of 2011 in Australia.
Good news for the embattled national carrier, Australian travellers voted Qantas Best Major Airline.
The full list of winners are:
- Favourite Australian Travel Experience - A Weekend in Sydney, NSW
- Best City in Australia - Melbourne, Vic
- Best Town in Australia - Margaret River, WA
- Best Resort in Australia - Cable Beach Club Resort & Spa, WA
- Best Luxury Hotel in Australia - Palazzo Versace, Qld
- Best Affordable Hotel Brand in Australia - Novotel
- Best B&B in Australia - Glass on Glasshouse, Qld
- Best Self-catering Stay in Australia - Peppers Balé Salt Kingscliff, NSW
- Best Caravan Park in Australia - Clarkes Beach Holiday Park, NSW
- Best Adventure Holiday Destination in Australia - Overland Track, Tas
- Best Guided Tour in Australia - BridgeClimb Sydney, NSW
- Best Restaurant in Australia - Quay, NSW
- Best Bar or Pub in Australia - The Ivy, NSW
- Best Road Trip in Australia - Great Ocean Road, Vic
- Best Cruise/Yachting Experience in Australia - Bareboating in the Whitsunday Islands, QLD
- Best Train Journey in Australia - The Ghan, SA/NT
- Best Major Airline in Australia - Qantas
- Best Regional Airline in Australia - Regional Express
A unique opportunity exists to build an architecturally designed home in the prestigious and highly popular Oasis Resort. Elevated and secluded, this 302m2 block...
Here is an exceptional opportunity to purchase in the ever popular Byron Bay Arts & Industrial Estate. This unit is set over two levels. The lower floor space is...
This desirable townhouse is in a great location within easy walking distance to Byron Bay's town centre, beaches, schools, sporting fields and metres to the...
This quality built home is in an elevated position capturing beautiful breezes in the tightly held village of Bangalow. An easy walk to shops and restaurants and...
Spacious, modern and architecturally designed this townhouse will impress upon inspection. Set in an highly sought after, ultra convenient location where a 2...
Occupying a stunning 7490m2, this property offers privacy with a spacious brick rendered home plus separate studio with its own completely separate access. The...
Here is a rare opportunity to purchase in 'Byron Botanica'- one of the most upmarket and exclusive estates for the individual insisting on the highest standards of...
Set on 2685m2 (over half an acre), this Newrybar property offers a real sense of privacy and elevation with a beautiful, vast rural outlook, granny flat...
This gorgeous north facing, light filled home is located in a quiet secluded area of Suffolk Park and only 100 metres from the dog friendly beach. On entering the...
Superbly positioned in beachside Suffolk Park, this family home offers easy living and entertaining options for all. Immaculate throughout, features include an...
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.