THE 2011 Australian Traveller Readers' Choice Awards have crowned Melbourne Australia's favourite city with Margaret River the best town in Australia.
Lauded by readers as the "culture capital of Australia", Melbourne won Best City for its history, sporting events, shopping and dynamic laneway bars and cafés.
Fierce rival Sydney was not completely overlooked by the more than 1000 Australian travellers who voted in 18 categories.
"A Weekend in Sydney" was declared Favourite Travel Experience in 2011. Sydney also collected gongs for Best Restaurant (Quay), Best Bar Or Pub (The Ivy) and Best Guided Tour (BridgeClimb Sydney).
Western Australia also received several awards. Margaret River won Best Town for its revered wineries, restaurants and farm gates, not to mention its rural charm and fierce surf breaks. Broome's Cable Beach Club Resort & Spa won Best Resort.
The awards are the only consumer awards for tourism in Australia.
Australian Traveller editor Elisabeth Knowles said: "These awards are voted for by the most important people in the industry - the travellers themselves. It's a real mark of what Australians really think about travelling in their own country.
"Despite all the doom and gloom about domestic travel, our readers tell us a very different and positive story. They are travelling regularly in Australia," Ms Knowles said.
The survey respondents reported travelling an average of 3.25 times for leisure in the first nine months of 2011 in Australia.
Good news for the embattled national carrier, Australian travellers voted Qantas Best Major Airline.
The full list of winners are:
- Favourite Australian Travel Experience - A Weekend in Sydney, NSW
- Best City in Australia - Melbourne, Vic
- Best Town in Australia - Margaret River, WA
- Best Resort in Australia - Cable Beach Club Resort & Spa, WA
- Best Luxury Hotel in Australia - Palazzo Versace, Qld
- Best Affordable Hotel Brand in Australia - Novotel
- Best B&B in Australia - Glass on Glasshouse, Qld
- Best Self-catering Stay in Australia - Peppers Balé Salt Kingscliff, NSW
- Best Caravan Park in Australia - Clarkes Beach Holiday Park, NSW
- Best Adventure Holiday Destination in Australia - Overland Track, Tas
- Best Guided Tour in Australia - BridgeClimb Sydney, NSW
- Best Restaurant in Australia - Quay, NSW
- Best Bar or Pub in Australia - The Ivy, NSW
- Best Road Trip in Australia - Great Ocean Road, Vic
- Best Cruise/Yachting Experience in Australia - Bareboating in the Whitsunday Islands, QLD
- Best Train Journey in Australia - The Ghan, SA/NT
- Best Major Airline in Australia - Qantas
- Best Regional Airline in Australia - Regional Express
Here is a rare opportunity to purchase a stunning 4 acres with a house and pool plus gardens, orchard and paddocks that make the most of what our beautiful...
This immaculate beach home is an easy walk to Tallow Beach. This conveniently located Suffolk Park home is the definitive beach house; casual luxury, private and...
OPEN HOUSE SUNDAY 6 SEPTEMBER 12.30 - 1.00pm OUR OWNER HAS FOUND HER NEXT PROPERTY... so do not delay on this one... High above the road, in this quiet cul-de-sac...
What an incredibly rare find! Approximately 2 acres (8963m2) of beautiful elevated north east facing land in town Byron Bay. There is an original 3 bedroom...
Set on 657m2 with an east facing large back yard and just a few minutes' walk to Suffolk Park's beautiful Tallow Beach is this large original family beach house...
OPEN this Sat 5th Sep 11am to 11.45am....Brand new, yes just completed, is this appealing 3 bedroom home which qualifies the purchaser for government cost saving...
This luxury family home is located on one of the most desirable streets in the area with breathtaking ocean views extending from sweeping, architect-designed...
Don't miss this outstanding opportunity! Tallow Creek is a new release of vacant lots and freshly renovated existing dwellings located in the vibrant community of...
OPEN HOUSE SATURDAY 12 SEPTEMBER 11.30AM - 12.00PM Tucked away in this beautiful region - with good access is this charming farmhouse. Centrally located on...
OPEN HOUSE SATURDAY 12 SEPTEMBER 10.00 - 10.30AM Positioned between The Channon & Nimbin on a quiet country lane this property is a MUST SEE. The property has a...
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.