THE 2011 Australian Traveller Readers' Choice Awards have crowned Melbourne Australia's favourite city with Margaret River the best town in Australia.
Lauded by readers as the "culture capital of Australia", Melbourne won Best City for its history, sporting events, shopping and dynamic laneway bars and cafés.
Fierce rival Sydney was not completely overlooked by the more than 1000 Australian travellers who voted in 18 categories.
"A Weekend in Sydney" was declared Favourite Travel Experience in 2011. Sydney also collected gongs for Best Restaurant (Quay), Best Bar Or Pub (The Ivy) and Best Guided Tour (BridgeClimb Sydney).
Western Australia also received several awards. Margaret River won Best Town for its revered wineries, restaurants and farm gates, not to mention its rural charm and fierce surf breaks. Broome's Cable Beach Club Resort & Spa won Best Resort.
The awards are the only consumer awards for tourism in Australia.
Australian Traveller editor Elisabeth Knowles said: "These awards are voted for by the most important people in the industry - the travellers themselves. It's a real mark of what Australians really think about travelling in their own country.
"Despite all the doom and gloom about domestic travel, our readers tell us a very different and positive story. They are travelling regularly in Australia," Ms Knowles said.
The survey respondents reported travelling an average of 3.25 times for leisure in the first nine months of 2011 in Australia.
Good news for the embattled national carrier, Australian travellers voted Qantas Best Major Airline.
The full list of winners are:
- Favourite Australian Travel Experience - A Weekend in Sydney, NSW
- Best City in Australia - Melbourne, Vic
- Best Town in Australia - Margaret River, WA
- Best Resort in Australia - Cable Beach Club Resort & Spa, WA
- Best Luxury Hotel in Australia - Palazzo Versace, Qld
- Best Affordable Hotel Brand in Australia - Novotel
- Best B&B in Australia - Glass on Glasshouse, Qld
- Best Self-catering Stay in Australia - Peppers Balé Salt Kingscliff, NSW
- Best Caravan Park in Australia - Clarkes Beach Holiday Park, NSW
- Best Adventure Holiday Destination in Australia - Overland Track, Tas
- Best Guided Tour in Australia - BridgeClimb Sydney, NSW
- Best Restaurant in Australia - Quay, NSW
- Best Bar or Pub in Australia - The Ivy, NSW
- Best Road Trip in Australia - Great Ocean Road, Vic
- Best Cruise/Yachting Experience in Australia - Bareboating in the Whitsunday Islands, QLD
- Best Train Journey in Australia - The Ghan, SA/NT
- Best Major Airline in Australia - Qantas
- Best Regional Airline in Australia - Regional Express
In a desirable lifestyle location, walking distance to the main cafÃ© and restaurant strip of the Bangalow Township and only 15 minutes to the world renowned...
This stately and generous property will accommodate a large extended or growing family, visiting guests and workers for the farm if so desired. The main residence...
As you enter the property you will feel the fantastic combination of views and privacy that this home offers. The open living/kitchen/dining with polished...
This is your opportunity to live or invest in a quiet street only a few minutes stroll to the Blue Pacific. One of Suffolk Parks originals, this home has been...
This exquisite homestead offers the utmost in privacy and tranquillity whilst enjoying magnificent ocean and rural views and is located only minutes to Byron Bay's...
... as will be sold well below replacement cost! Offers invited over $600,000 plus GST. Centrally positioned between The Tweed and Byron Bay is this huge...
with COASTAL & OCEAN VIEWS! AGENT ON SITE THIS SATURDAY 13 FEBRUARY 10.00AM - 10.30AM The power has just been relocated underground which opens many options &...
A wonderful combination of light filled living, modern style and fabulous entertaining areas. Recently renovated this home includes a modern airy kitchen with open...
ORIGINAL 1880's AUTHENTIC "Bangalow Cottage" On the edge of town is this lovely original cottage - retaining many original features - all within 5 minutes...
Enviably located in an elevated position to capture the cool summer breeze is this 4 bedroom 2 bathroom residence. A fabulous lifestyle awaits you with the...
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.